30% LED lighting market growth expected in 2015!
Nov 28 2014, 15:43 ET | By: Eric Jhonsa, SA News Editor
- Taiwanese supply chain firms talking to Digitimes expect the total value of LED lighting output to rise 30% next year, with a doubling of shipments more than offsetting 30%-35% price drops. Research firm LEDinside expects shipment value to grow to $25.7B, or 31.3% of total lighting shipment value.
- On the other hand, the LED backlighting market is expected to continue declining, as prices continue falling and newer LED TVs require fewer chips.
- Though its LED chip/component business has been hit hard by a demand shift towards mid-power LED sales (often used for indoor lighting), CREE’s LED lighting product sales are still growing briskly: They rose 51% Y/Y in calendar Q3 to $223.1M. Component/chip sales were down 20% to $173.6M.
- Wafer vendor Rubicon (NASDAQ:RBCN) expects a weak backlighting market to exact a heavy toll on its Q4 results. Demand is expected to pick up in Q1.
- Other industry names: AIXG, VECO, LEDS